Thank you for visiting

IMPORTANT NOTE: I redesigned and relaunched Joy In This Journey at www.joyinthisjourney.com after our daughter Elli died. You will find posts from October 2008 to the present there. Please come over and read the new journey there.

Nov 29, 2006

Norovirus

Tonight I drove 20 miles one way to the urgent care my pediatrician participates in with a very sick child, only to find that our appointment was made at the office one mile from my house. They have a new phone system and in my efforts to find a real person on the other end, and their efforts to help me out after all the offices were closed, resulted in a 40-mile round-trip fiasco that included me crying in total frustration at the urgent care office.

Once I finally arrived at the correct office, I learned that Elli has a norovirus. It's a highly-contagious stomach bug that can give you diarrhea for a week. She wasn't dehydrated enough to need IV fluids, so we're home with a fluids schedule for the next 24 hours. As the doctor said, "We've got an ace in the hole -- her G-tube! I think she'll get through this ok."

Of course, two sentences later he was giving me his home phone number in case I couldn't get the new office phone system to connect me with a real person again.

If I drop off the face of the earth for the next week, you'll know why.

Stomach flu. Running rampant through the family. It's about a month early though -- usually we get these things at Christmas.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails