Thank you for visiting

IMPORTANT NOTE: I redesigned and relaunched Joy In This Journey at www.joyinthisjourney.com after our daughter Elli died. You will find posts from October 2008 to the present there. Please come over and read the new journey there.

Nov 7, 2006

Knitting for Christmas

I have selected (most) of the items I'm making for Christmas gifts! So I of course can't post any pictures, lest I ruin the surprises. But I'm very excited about some new projects, new yarn in new colors, new needles (I love my new bamboo needles!!!), a new book (Christmas Stockings: 18 Holiday Treasures to Knit), and trying a new technique - felting.

Felting is the intentional shrinking of wool. You knit an item at least twice as big as you want it, then you wash it until it has shrunk to the desired size. I had no idea people did this on purpose. But now I've seen some finished projects and the effect is very thick and warm. Many items don't even look knitted any more. I'll be attempting this on two of my Christmas gifts this year. I hope it works -- otherwise I'll be up a creek for those people.

I am still working to finish my socks and the baby sweater (which is for Brenda's baby if I can ever finish the sleeves). So Brenda, I know you think I totally forgot to send a baby gift, but I didn't. I'm still working on it. I'm nowhere near as creative or timely as our wonder-woman friend Brooke. I'll try to be better.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails