Thank you for visiting

IMPORTANT NOTE: I redesigned and relaunched Joy In This Journey at www.joyinthisjourney.com after our daughter Elli died. You will find posts from October 2008 to the present there. Please come over and read the new journey there.

Nov 17, 2006

Thanksgiving Menu

I think I've finalized the menu for next week's festivities. I had grand plans for a million side dishes when I decided to host Thanksgiving a month or so ago. But I've gradually scaled back as the reality of preparing a feast with three children in the house settled in. While I'd love to try cornbread and wild mushroom and pecan stuffing, steamed brussels sprouts, roasted carrots and parsnips, and sweet potato souffle pie, I just don't have time or the food budget! I am having family bring some of the items too, which will help.

  • 19-pound grilled turkey (my dad is a pro at grilling turkey over charcoal, thereby freeing up the oven)

  • Mushroom stuffing (from Everyday Food)

  • Golden-brown gravy (from Martha Stewart Living)

  • Cranberry sauce

  • Mamaw's sweet potatoes

  • Golden creamy mashed potatoes

  • Green bean salad

  • Beverly's broccoli casserole

  • Olives (a requirement at my family's special dinners)

  • Pumpkin pie with real whipped cream

  • Apple pie

I decided to go ahead and get a large turkey since we've invited friends who won't know if they're coming til the last minute. If they don't come, I'm going to have half a turkey left over! I bought ingredients for turkey poblano tostadas for lunch on Friday, but that won't make a big dent in 10 pounds of leftovers. We'll probably have enough for a whole 'nother turkey dinner later in the winter, which will be nice. Maybe two.

Anyone want to join us for Thanksgiving dinner?

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails