The directions say this:
Begin zigzag pattern:
Round 1: knit(k) every stitch
Round 2: *k-f/b (knit in the front and back loops of the same stitch), k7, double decrease (dd), k-f/b; repeat from * a total of 4 times.
Work zigzag pattern until leg measures 6 3/4 inches to the top of the heel.
It took me awhile to figure out how to do the k-f/b and the dd stitches. Then I somehow missed that I was supposed to do two k-f/b stitches next to one another (at least, I think I'm supposed to!) when doing Round 2, the first and last stitches of that round's pattern are both k-f/b.
I couldn't figure out why the pattern wasn't ending on the last stitch on the row until this morning when, after a decent night's sleep, I finally comprehended the pattern directions. Duh! I had skipped 3 stitches in the pattern!
And then, I suddenly realized that Round 1 was a part of the zigzag pattern! I thought the zigzag pattern was just Round 2 when I first looked at it.
So guess what I'm doing today (when I get time to pick up the sock again). Yup. Frogging. (For my non-knitting readers, it's called frogging because you rip it, rip it, rip it.) At least I have only done 5 rows wrong. I'm just still a slow knitter, so it takes me awhile to knit 5 rows of 70 stitches each!
In other knitting news, I talked to my grandma on the phone yesterday! She was quite the knitter when I was growing up; actually when she was growing up all the way until the Parkinson's got too bad for her to work with knitting needles. She didn't know I'd taken up knitting and was very excited that I had such a good teacher and was having fun with it. She said I should try to go to Victoria, Canada some day because they have the most beautiful wools there.
Hmmmm. I smell a Super-Knitter's Road Trip with my two favorite knitting friends. Some day, many years from hence. (When we actually have the time and finances to travel that far, let alone buy the yarn we find there... I'll probably have snow-white hair and grandchildren.)
Cute Kid Stories
Friday evening, we were unloading the kids from the van after going to a conference at church (it was great - it was on Godly Communication). Scott was telling Elli how cute she was and then realized perhaps he should compliment Sam.
So he said, "And Sam, you are a handsome boy!"
Sam replied indignantly, "No I'm not! I'm a silly boy!"
-----
When Elli came home from school on Friday, she was kind of grumpy. Her Dynavox had died at school because we forgot to charge it the night before. I plugged it in and turned it on. Instantly, her whole demeanor changed. I asked her to tell me about her day at school.
Eagerly and deliberately, she pressed buttons.
Then she said, "May I have a snack? Cheetos. Cheetos. Cheetos. Cheetos." She flashed me this huge expectant grin.
She is getting so good with that Dynavox!
-----
Anna is just days away from walking on her own. The church nursery has this push-toy that is perfect for beginning walkers. She loves to walk, pushing it around in front of her. Wednesday night, after choir practice, we watched as a parade of our kids entered the room. Sam came racing in, followed very closely by a super-proud-of-herself little Anna, positively bouncing with her toy! She was so thrilled to be keeping up with her big brother, around whom she thinks the sun rises and sets. Then she took off the other direction and I watched her zigzag down the hall, going in and out of classrooms. It was just so cute to watch this little person bop around.
More Germs
We're not done with the colds in our house. Scott ran a fever all night Saturday night and all day Sunday. Anna woke up with a fever and a stuffy, runny nose Sunday morning. I took her to Urgent Care yesterday afternoon because she was miserable and digging at her ears, a sure sign of ear infection.
To my surprise, the doctor found no signs of bacterial infection - not even anything brewing. With the aid of Advil Cold, she slept decently well last night. I'm pretty sure that Sam will catch the cold from her since they fight over the same toys all the time. I'm hoping that if I'm vigilant with handwashing, we can keep Elli and I healthy. My poor hands are so dry and cracked from this winter! But it's a small price to pay to keep the germs from tearing through the entire family.