Thank you for visiting

IMPORTANT NOTE: I redesigned and relaunched Joy In This Journey at www.joyinthisjourney.com after our daughter Elli died. You will find posts from October 2008 to the present there. Please come over and read the new journey there.

Dec 10, 2006

Not Norman Rockwell

Saturday we took the kids to a local Christmas tree farm to cut down a tree. The day was breezy and chilly, so we dressed everyone in snowpants, heavy coats, hats, and mittens. Sam outgrew last year's snow pants, so we put him in Elli's and dressed her in sweatpants with wind pants over them, wool socks over two extra pairs of socks, and her actual winter coat (coats and wheelchairs do NOT get along well, so I usually throw a thick poncho over her and call it done).

The people at the tree farm were really nice. It's a family-owned farm and everyone got in on the act. The men took turns driving the tractor that pulled the wagon out into the trees, and they would let kids "help drive" if the kids wanted too. They helped Scott lift Elli up onto the wagon, wheelchair and all, which just blew me away. Elli LOVED bumping around on that wagon and out in the woods. Sam would have traipsed through the trees with Scott all day.

Anna, on the other hand, was having a diva moment. A moment that lasted the entire time we were out there. She fell asleep on the way there, and we were not equipped with adequate sustenance, so she justs bawled for momma to carry her. I couldn't carry her and push Elli over the rutted dirt road with one hand, and Scott was carrying the saw, so he couldn't do it either, so Anna just needed to suck it up and deal. We decided on a tree, made our slow and tear-filled way back, and rode back to the barn on the wagon. Once seated on my lap, Anna's tears stopped. Temporarily.

Scott tried holding her for the family picture with the tree, but he was also holding up the tree with her on the tree-side of him, so I think she thought the tree was attacking her. I grabbed a cup of hot chocolate with a big marshmallow and took her straight to the van. She was finally happy once she had a semi-melted marshmallow to lick and momma all to herself. I think she had woken up too early and immediately had a sugar crash.

All in all, I think the trip was a success. It just wasn't something your typical holiday greeting cards are made of.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails