Thank you for visiting

IMPORTANT NOTE: I redesigned and relaunched Joy In This Journey at www.joyinthisjourney.com after our daughter Elli died. You will find posts from October 2008 to the present there. Please come over and read the new journey there.

May 5, 2006

Knitting With Babies

You read that right. I actually did it. I brought my Jaywalker sock today while watching 4 children aged 13 months and younger.

I may just be crazy. Size 1 knitting needles with two children who just learned to walk and therefore stagger and fall constantly... (the other two were 6 months old and not very impressed by the shiny metalic sticks).

The day went rather well, considering who I was dealing with. One child has been getting eye teeth and has never really enjoyed being separated from her mother. But today she managed to only cry every 5-10 minutes and settled down whenever I picked her up. The other child is mine and she only had a couple episodes of "But that's MY mommy" jealousy. These two entertained themselves for a good 40 minutes eating Cheerios from tiny cups, dumping them on the floor, and then eating them off the floor. Who knew that you could attain nirvana from a cupful of little o-shaped edibles?

The little babies had their moments, but I was so proud of myself for getting the one into a quiet bed before he was too upset to sleep. He stayed contently in there as long as his music-maker played the right song. I think he was overwhelmed by the lights and noise - he is the first child in his family and is completely unused to all the action!

The yarn and the crinkly bag I packed the sock in were very interesting to the girls. My daughter took off with my pattern, which made knitting the heel flap slow going. The other girl sat on my lap and enjoyed fingering the yarn and needles... and I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't pull a needle out! I didn't knit much -- despite the utopian society we established, I still had to stop every several stitches to roll someone over, pick someone up, or rescue a baby from being rocked out of his punkin seat.

I am now ready to turn the heel. Perhaps tonight I'll get that done and start on the foot of the sock.

What's that you say? My niece is already 6 months? The sweater I'm supposedly knitting for her is sized for 6 months? I've only got two fronts done and 2 inches of the back? Louder please. I can't hear you!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails