My sister kindly offered to come stay with me part of the time Scott was gone. She had no idea what she was volunteering for!
I got the wild idea to replace our nasty public-bathroom style sink and 70s-era light fixture and paint the walls. By the time I thought of it, I had 36 hours left before Scott returned. Totally do-able, right?
Before

The bathroom is tiny - probably 4 feet by 6 feet, plus it has two doors and a window, so not much surface area to paint. Never mind the fact that I've only done one actual plumbing job -- a friend and I swapped out a faucet once several years ago. And I've done an electrical wiring job -- I swapped out a thermostat in this house a couple years ago. No sweat!
Well, actually... we did sweat. We worked our little tails off. I went to Home Depot five times, and Heather went to Ace Hardware once. But we did it!
During
My sister insisted on taking a photo of me actually doing something. Notice the flashlight beam behind me? We disconnect the light way early and then lost daylight. Thank goodness for Scott's superduper flashlight! Heather was a HUGE help. I couldn't have done it without her. She stayed up til after midnight with me, help intercept kids before they could get into stuff, painted while I exchanged parts, and loaned me her muscles to get the sinks off and on.
After
Isn't it beautiful? We were SO pumped when we turned the water on and got no leaks. Well, we ended up needing Scott's powerful grip to seal up the drain just right. But he was very impressed. He loved the color we chose for the walls and didn't mind at all.