Thank you for visiting

IMPORTANT NOTE: I redesigned and relaunched Joy In This Journey at www.joyinthisjourney.com after our daughter Elli died. You will find posts from October 2008 to the present there. Please come over and read the new journey there.

Jan 23, 2006

Rambling On and On

We had a great weekend. We kicked it off with a visit from Brooke, who was suitably impressed with my sock. She brought super-scrumptious homemade candy and cookies from our dearest Brenda (they were magnanimous - thank you VERY much!), tins with mittens on them for me (which the kids have absconded with, but which I love - very knitting-appropriate), and a yoga DVD which I'm told is very silly but might bring some welcome variety to my workout regimen.

Speaking of working out, I did none last week. In my defense, we took the kids snow-sledding on Tuesday, which was quite a workout indeed. We pulled and pushed and ran up and down... I am definitely counting that as a workout! Then I painted and cleaned and ... well, I didn't do anything else. So I didn't meet my goal for exercise last week. But I was up late working on our room and trying to hold the rest of the house together and keep the kids (especially Anna) out of the mess while Scott worked. I'm going to try to fit it in this afternoon, though my stomach isn't sure it's happy right at this very moment.

Saturday we continued to work on our room. Scott was very bummed that Home Depot was out of quarter-round and everything else he went looking for! So while we have moved back in, we are not completely done yet. We'll get more quarter-round and finish off the floor this coming weekend. Plus we still have to finish painting the one corner that rain leaked into. But I like how the room turned out and am once again resolved to keep it neat and tidy. Our room tends to be a drop-off location for things that need a home but don't have an obvious place yet.

Saturday evening we had dinner with some dear friends from our former church. They have known Scott since he roomed with their son in college, and when he married me, I got welcomed into the circle too. We had a great time catching up and enjoying the kids' antics with the toys. I enjoyed having a night off from cooking and cleaning, plus I had put Sunday's dinner in the crockpot on Saturday, so I didn't have to cook much on Sunday either!

Sunday I played piano for the church service. That went really well - I've gotten much more comfortable with this over the past year and a half. I don't get all shaky and nervous anymore, which really helps me play more right notes! Our usual pianist took the opportunity to sit in the back and listen to the mix of music and voices so we can help the sound guys get it to the best it can be. Scott enjoyed having a Sunday to listen in Sunday School instead of teach. He'll get to do that for a few more weeks at least, which will be a nice break. He has taught an adult Sunday School class for a year and welcomes a little break.

Sam has fallen in love the with game "Candy Land." It's the Dora the Explorer version, so I think he's most enamored with the characters which comprise the game pieces. I keep finding him pulled it all out of the box to play with like a toy, and I keep telling him that it's a game not a toy and we have to be careful not to lose the pieces or we won't be able to play it. We've played it a few times, but I don't think he really understands it yet. We played with Brooke on Friday and he named all the characters on the game board. When I pointed to the Grumpy Old Troll, he said, "That's the Bumpy Ol Troll."

This morning Sam took one of those mitten tins Brooke gave me, put a little green bear inside with his head resting on the edge, and put the lid on like a hat. He kept saying "Get lost!" while he was playing with it. This really bothered me, so I asked him where he heard that. He couldn't tell me, so I told him that wasn't a nice thing to say. Later, he pointed to the bear and said, "Look, just like Oscar! He says, 'Get lost!'" It really did look like Oscar, and I was very relieved to know where he heard the phrase. Not that it makes it any better...

Elli gets a new aide in school today. The woman who worked with her for the first half of the year is having some pretty serious back problems, so her doctor told her she needed to go part-time and quit lifting. So she can't work with Elli anymore. I'll go meet her later in the week or next week sometime. The teacher recommended waiting a few days since she's goign to be a bit overwhelmed by all the new stuff of a new job today. Elli does well with new people, so I'm not really worried about it. I'll feel better once I meet her, though!

I have a lot to get done this afternoon. I need to mop the floors, finish the laundry, vacuumed another bedroom, and clean the bathrooms. We're having guests over tonight, plus it really needed to be done after we had our room all torn apart! Here's hoping that Anna goes down for another nap fairly easy around 3. Sam is sleeping in my room today, so Anna's crying won't bother him. Right now she's coveting my optical mouse, digital camera, and ethernet cables!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails