Thank you for visiting

IMPORTANT NOTE: I redesigned and relaunched Joy In This Journey at www.joyinthisjourney.com after our daughter Elli died. You will find posts from October 2008 to the present there. Please come over and read the new journey there.

Jan 13, 2006

My Goals for This Year

I don't believe in making New Years resolutions. However, I do think it's wise to periodically assess my life and make some goals for improving the areas where I see weakness. Since January is typically a rather dull month, especially as contrasted with the frantic pace of December, it works out well to do it now. I'm not sure where my goals from last year are, or what they were. But if I post them, I'll be able to look back next year and see how I did.

So, after some prayer and discussion with Scott, here are my goals for this year.
  • Exercise 4-5 times per week. The best time for this is during the kids' naps, before Elli gets home from school. I have a DVD and a couple VHS tapes to use right now, and will request some more for my birthday next month. This week I've exercised 3 times, so I'm doing well so far.

  • Read my Bible 5-6 times a week and read the entire New Testament this year. This has been extremely difficult to work into my day with children. Each time a new baby enters the house, I struggle to keep my eyes open long enough to read a paragraph because I'm so tired. I'm finally in a good routine now and think I've found a time that will work -- I get up between 6 and 6:30, get a cup of coffee, and read before the kids wake up. Three years ago I started a "Read Through the Bible in a Year" schedule. I'm almost done with the Old Testament now, which is why reading the NT is my goal for this year. I know that's pretty pitiful, but at least I didn't quit.

  • Go to bed by 10:30 every night. I have to do this if I'm going to get up at 6!

  • Practice the piano 3 times a week. I'm not sure when to do this yet. But since I'm playing more and more at church, this is a must.

  • Spend quality one-on-one time with each child every day, even if it's just a few minutes. The more kids you have, the tougher this is to do. I'm beginning to wonder if three kids is the max I can really mother well, because of this very thing. It's just so difficult to get all the work of a household of five done AND spend good quality time with each of the kids.

  • Establish a system that works to keep the paper in this house organized and under control. Still looking for this one! Paperwork and filing is the bane of my existence, but I'm determined not to let it defeat me this year.

  • Develop better friendship-building skills. Call, send notes, and get together with people. This is difficult for me because of Elli's schedule. She's in half-day school, so I don't have much time to go anywhere in the morning, and afternoon is naptime. I got out of the habit after she was born because I was running her to so many doctor and therapy appointments and was so dog-tired that I couldn't possibly fit in social things. I have realized lately that I've been waiting for other people to reach out to me instead of being proactive and involved in developing friendships.

So, there it is. Out there in public for the world to know. Feel free to ask me how I'm doing on these things! I could use the accountability. My family will thank you for it!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails