Thank you for visiting

IMPORTANT NOTE: I redesigned and relaunched Joy In This Journey at www.joyinthisjourney.com after our daughter Elli died. You will find posts from October 2008 to the present there. Please come over and read the new journey there.

Dec 3, 2007

Questions, questions, questions

I have found myself asking the strangest questions of myself lately. Questions I couldn't even have conceived of before becoming a mother.

Have you ever asked yourself:

What is the fascination with hand-washing? I am convinced that my daughter goes potty 15 times a day just to have an excuse to wash her hands.

Why do kids always have to go potty during mealtimes? Is there something about eating that triggers bladder spasms or do they get bored and know this is a sure-fire way to get down from the table for a few minutes?

Why do kids ask questions they already know the answer to (like "What are you doing? when you do something you do every day or "What is that?" when you're holding something they've seen since infancy... like a towel)?

Why is it that, no matter how far ahead of time I start, it always takes longer than the time I allowed myself to get everyone out the door? This morning I started 20 minutes before I had to leave, and I was still frantically racing around at the last minute, frustrated with the kids who were moving slower than their normal slow pace and resisting going into the cold garage to get shoes and coats and not wanting to let the door close behind them while they were in there and then grabbing light jackets when the windchill today is in the teens...

Why can't I accept the reality that my Christmas tree and nativity scenes are dynamic pieces, changing moment-by-moment at the hands of my very excited children? (I find myself getting really annoyed when I find my carefully-placed decorations moved. I need to just get over it, but I want to be the decorator in my house and I keep being usurped!)

Why won't kids eat the crust of bread? I never left the crusts of my sandwiches like this! (Or did I, mom?) There's good eating left on that plate (and I don't mean the grapes either)!

(Once upon a time, I sold Pampered Chef, and I got a "cut'n'seal" as part of my starter kit. It's a tool that makes a round pocket out of a sandwich. They told me that parents and kids would love it because it cut all the crusts off and fits neatly in small hands.

I thought it was a waste of perfectly good bread.

Now I understand.)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails