We get the day off today, not so much from snow as from "wintry mix." Our district doesn't call snow days very often, and when they do, it's usually because of ice, not snow.
We got phone calls from the "public information officer" at 11pm last night and at 7am this morning. She records a message and then their automated call system sends it out to every one of our 12,000+ students.
At 11pm, we were sound asleep and all I wanted was to hear whether they were delaying or canceling school so I could go back to sleep. She messes around with perky greetings and things like "the kids must have been counting snow flakes last night" before finally mentioning a 2-hour delay. She did it again this morning -- dilly-dallied around before finally saying that school was canceled.
I think I may write a constructively-worded suggestion that she get to the point a little faster. Especially when they call at 5:30am to delay or cancel school (that's when we usually get the call).
Now... what are we going to do with our snow day? I'm so thankful that everyone is finally on the mend in our house! So we can actually enjoy this day. I think we'll get Valentines ready for Elli's party on Friday, make brownies, and watch movies. Oh, and do laundry. (I was so exhausted by the end of last week that I couldn't keep up anymore.)