We learned Saturday that all but one member of a large family in our community were killed in some sort of violence within their home. The father is the only surviving member, at the moment, though he sustained significant injuries. The police aren't releasing much information at present, but they are saying that the father is being charged in the case.
The oldest child attended Elli's school. She was 8 years old and in the third grade. Her siblings were younger still.
It's a horrible tragedy and one that is very difficult to explain to children. But somehow I have to find a way to talk to Elli about this before she heads to school this morning. She can't ask me questions back, so I have to try to gauge by her reaction how she's doing. Elli didn't know the girl, I don't think, but we were told that every child who attends that school will be affected somehow.
Elli is particularly sensitive to people who are sad. She finds it extremely upsetting to see one of us crying. I'm very concerned about her this week, and struggled all weekend with whether I should even send her to school today. But we decided that she, just like every other child, has to face the reality of death. So I'm gearing up to tell her as simply as I can what happened and that her classmates and teachers may be sad at school this week.
And then I'll wait to see if I get a phone call saying she is inconsolable and needs to come home. Please keep Elli, the school staff, the school children, the extended family of those who died, and those investigating the killings in your prayers. And pray that somehow Scott and I can find a way to talk with Elli and address her specific questions, despite the challenges she faces with communication.