Sometimes I actually feel creative. Yesterday Elli and I put together these teacher gifts for her teachers, aide, and therapists at school. (Click the photo to view it larger. This applies to all photos on my blog.) She picked out the flowers, stamped the cards, helped me pot the flowers, and signed by stamping her name inside (the name stamp was a genius idea from a special needs preschool teacher).
I took the photo the day before and then ordered wallets from Costco to tape inside. I think they turned out really well.At least until Anna discovered one accidentally left within reach. She decided that the flower needed some air. I have since planted that one in my garden and placed a new in the pot. I didn't want to give a doomed flower as a gift!
I can hardly believe today is her last day of kindergarten. The girl who comes home this afternoon will be a First Grader. She is so excited she can hardly contain herself. I am excited for her but am beginning to realize how serious people are when they say the time just flies. A child of mine is going into first grade??? Am I old enough for that?
-----
I had a red-letter moment yesterday. Sam asked if he could play outside.
I have been waiting for that moment for six years! I cannot express how ecstatic I am that the kids actually want to play outside, and that he and Anna actually can entertain themselves out there. Elli loves the outdoors too, though she needs someone else to help her. Still, she asks to swing in her special swing just about every day. It's a beautiful thing to break away from the technology and enjoy God's creation.
Now if I can just clean up the sandbox. Apparently, we forgot to put the lid on it a few times. The odor of cat urine is rather strong. I gave the youngest two baths on the deck yesterday afternoon to wash the sand, urine, and sweat off before they came in the house. Then I filled the sandbox with soapy water. I was hoping that when it evaporates, the smell and whatever else may be in it would be neutralized.
What a pipe dream. I poured out the excess water after letting it soak overnight. The urine smell is still pretty bad. Looks like I'll have to throw it all out and start over. I hate to dump it in the trash -- it's so heavy that it'll be a bear to drag out to the street!
-----
Served to Anna for lunch: half of a peanut butter and honey sandwich, one triangle of watermelon, 8 slices of cheese, a cup of water, and a cup of milk. Actually consumed: 8 slices of cheese, a cup of water, and a cup of milk.
Sometimes I really wonder why I bother to prepare food.
-----
I cast on for a pair of navy blue baby booties last night. I have three days to finish them. I remain optimistic.